It was Chauncey C. Bush Sr, who began serving as the first mayor on October 10, 1887. Bush served honorably as mayor until he was succeeded by local resident Jerry Culverhouse on April 9, 1888. Then on, May 19, 1888, the City of Redding became the county seat of Shasta County, on that day, the first court was held at Redding.
The Shasta County Board of Supervisors published their May term proceedings in the Shasta Courier newspaper on Saturday, May 19, 1888, which claimed the following:
Correction to the caption on the above postcard, L-R: the Hall of Records and the Shasta County Courthouse in Redding on Court Street in 1912. The Hall of Records building was designed by Mathew W. Herron in 1908, and it was built by the Robert Brothers in 1909. (Corrected Note: Robert Lee Reading did not design the Hall of Records building.) The Shasta County Courthouse began construction in 1888 and was finished in 1889, erected by pioneer James T. Loag. From the collection of Jeremy Tuggle.
New Town - The Shasta Courier newspaper of Shasta, June 15, 1872
Redding - The Shasta Courier newspaper of Shasta, August 3, 1872
First Train - The Shasta Courier newspaper of Shasta, September 7, 1872
Trip To Redding - The Shasta Courier newspaper of Shasta, September 28, 1872
First Fire In Redding - The Shasta Courier newspaper of Shasta, December 28, 1872
First Death - The Shasta Courier newspaper of Shasta, January 11, 1873
Married - Marysville Daily Appeal newspaper of Maryville, June 24, 1873
The Reading Independent newspaper of Redding, August 22, 1878
1881, History and Business Directory of Shasta County, California
Incorporation Prevails - The Republican Free Press newspaper of Redding, September 3, 1887
Supervisors Proceedings, May Term 1888 - The Shasta Courier newspaper of Shasta, May 19, 1888
Dethroned - The Shasta Courier newspaper of Shasta, Saturday, May 26, 1888
Election Proclamation - The Shasta Courier newspaper of Shasta, January 19, 1889
Plans Accepted For The Hall Of Records - The Searchlight newspaper of Redding, January 12, 1908
The Searchlight newspaper of Redding, March 16, 1909
Women Are Invited To Historical Society’s Luncheon Program – The Courier-Free Press newspaper of Redding, January 25, 1937
My Playhouse Was a Concord Coach, an anthology of newspaper clippings and documents relating to those who made California history during the years 1822-1888, by Mae Helene Bacon Boggs. Published by Howell-North Press ©1942
U.S., Appointments of U. S. Postmasters, 1832-1971, available on microfilm in the archives of Shasta Historical Society.
Outpost On Poverty Flats by Charles J. Gleeson, ©1978 published by Redding Printing Company
Listing of Redding Mayors (1887-2007)
CP-047 Culverhouse, Jerry Pioneer Plaque File on file at Shasta Historical Society.
Trails of 49’ In Shasta – Mrs. Mary J. Culverhouse, unknown author.
A History of Redding the Early Years, 1872-1875 by Al M. Rocca, ©2014 published by Renown Publishing.