Cone & Kimball soon discovered their land to be extremely valuable to new settlers who wanted to purchase the land for farming purposes. After many offers, the land was sold to a number of newcomers during the latter part of the 1870s. The first residence was located on the south side of Gas Point Road about one mile west of Dry Creek. At this location a water well from that first family still existed when local historian, Myrtle McNamar, published her book Way Back When in 1952.
Three or four families with young children settled, early on, at Kimball Plains which helped the residents establish the Kimball School District on August 5, 1879. Eventually, a one-room schoolhouse was erected in the area. It’s first teacher was A.R. Eldridge. Later, a Baptist congregation was formed in the area and they met inside the Kimball schoolhouse on Sunday morning's. This church was led by my paternal great-great-great grandfather, the Reverend William S. Kidder, a resident of Eagle Creek (now Ono).
In April of 1885, the agricultural scene at Kimball Plains changed a little when the discovery of a quartz ledge was made at Kimball's stock range, and the Shasta Courier newspaper of Shasta, reprinted the following article from the Red Bluff Sentinel newspaper of Red Bluff:
"New Discovery - Major Kimball and Will Lunning returned last evening from the Bald Hills country, where they have been for several days surveying the outside lines of the Major's stock ranch, preparatory to fencing the entire tract. While surveying they ran across a quartz ledge, and knocked off some rock, which they brought with them to be examined by experts and possibly sent to San Francisco to be assayed. For outside, surface rock, it looks very good, and in fact, native silver can be detected with the naked eye. The rock looks like croppings that come from the Bully Choop mines. The Major further states that frost cooked the leaves on oak trees, and great damage was done to fruits of all kinds. - Red Bluff Sentinel."
Kimball Plains wasn't known as a mining community, but mainly it was settled for agricultural purposes, and when the assessments of the ore returned the ore wasn't as lucrative as Kimball & Lunning hoped for. The mining excitement ceased and it did not create a new boom to the area. During the 1890s, Franz Venzke, a native of Germany, settled at Kimball Plains as a farmer with his wife Sally (Alberg) Venzke.
Then in September of 1894, the Kimball Plains Schoolhouse caught fire and burned down. After the fire, the students were transferred to the Cottonwood school to advance their education. In February of 1901, this excerpt of an article from the Red Bluff Daily News newspaper of Red Bluff reported the following news:
The Kimball School District was re-established on November 14, 1916, after a new schoolhouse was erected for their community that year. This school was located on the north side of Gas Point Road just east of Dry Creek and it was their second and last schoolhouse. In 1920, Mrs. Gertrude Carter was the teacher of the Kimball schoolhouse.
By February of 1920, Franz Venzke had purchased an additional eight hundred acres of land near Gas Point which gave him a total of 2,000 acres in that section of the county. There is also a story which was heralded by the Blue Lake Advocate newspaper of Blue Lake, California about the Kimball school and it describes the following account:
"Borrowed Children Keep Shasta School Alive - Redding (Shasta Co.) Jan. 26., Kimball Plains School District, four miles west of Cottonwood has a $1,500 school house but no children of school age within its boarders. Mrs. Alice Stone, teacher, keeps up the school and saves the district by "borrowing" school children from neighboring districts and taking them to school every day in her automobile. There is a fresh crop of children now under school age, coming up in Kimball Plains district and there will be no trouble another year to maintain the school with the district product." (SIC)
Franz Venzke lived in the area until his death in November of 1946. He is buried in the Cottonwood Cemetery. Two years later, the Kimball schoolhouse closed down due to poor attendance. Today, not much is left of this early settlement. However, Kimball Plains Road just off Gas Point Road retains the name of this former community.
The Shasta Courier newspaper of Shasta, December 31, 1881
Our Schools - The Shasta Courier newspaper of Shasta, March 3, 1883
New Discovery - The Shasta Courier newspaper of Shasta, April 25, 1885
The Red Bluff Daily News newspaper of Red Bluff, September 29, 1894
Major Kimball Answers Summons - The Red Bluff Daily News newspaper of Red Bluff, December 22, 1904
Shasta Couple Marry - The Sacramento Union newspaper of Sacramento, June 25, 1912
Shasta County Ranch Sold - The Sacramento Union newspaper of Sacramento, February 18, 1920
Borrowed Children Keep Shasta School Alive - The Blue Lake Advocate newspaper of Blue Lake, January 31, 1931
Way Back When - Myrtle McNamar, published by C.A.T. Publishing of Redding, California, 1952. 282 pages.
School Districts of Shasta County 1853-1955 compiled by Veronica Satorius
History of the State of California and Biographical Record of the Sacramento Valley, California. An Historical Story of the State's Marvelous from its earliest settlement to the Present Time. By Prof. J.M. Guinn, A.M. The Chapman Publishing Company, Chicago, Ill. © 1906
Franz Venzke: Find A Grave Memorial