Prior to 1855 the Dry Mill was sold in various transactions but in 1855 William Hyde of Shasta acquired it. Hyde eventually sold it to a man by the name of Hobson and Hobson sold to William Worth Smith. Smith operated the property until 1858 when he sold it to Millville resident, George C. Woodall. After acquiring the Dry Mill in 1867, a brand-new corporation called the Dry Mill Company was established in Shingletown. The Dry Mill Company continued production of lumber and in 1870 a lumberman named Rudolph Klotz and his partner Sylvanus Leach purchased the Dry Mill from the Dry Mill Company.
Klotz and Leach also erected a new sawmill on the north branch of Battle Creek at Shingletown near Emigrant Road. This mill was a steam-powered mill and they called it the Eureka Mill; Sylvanus Leach having formerly been a resident of Eureka. The history of the Dry Mill, as described in Myrtle McNamar’s book, "Way Back When", is that the machinery was transferred from the Dry Mill to the Eureka Mill when it was erected and the Dry Mill became inactive thereafter, but my research suggests otherwise.
The Shasta Courier reported four years after the Dry Mill supposedly had become inactive that Leach had continued operating the Dry Mill under his ownership; Klotz had apparently sold his interest to a man by the name of Duncan. Klotz and Leach continued operating the Eureka Mill together though. Leach became my great-great-great uncle by marriage due to him marrying Cora Bell Tuggle, a daughter of William H. Tuggle and Melinda (Ferrel) Tuggle on May 28, 1874 in Shingletown. In July of 1874 most of the lumber at the Dry Mill was being cut by timberman using sash saws to fell sugar pine trees instead of the usual cedar trees. The lumberyard of the Dry Mill was kept full and Leach and Duncan sold lumber for $11 per M. Likely the Dry Mill had not ceased operation but relied on man-power to produce lumber after the mechanical equipment was transferred to the Eureka Mill.
At the Eureka Mill Klotz and Leach employed fifty men and they were able to achieve the same operational capacity as the Defiance Mill and the Moscow Mill, producing around 90,000 feet of lumber per day. Sylvanus Leach and Rudolph Klotz sold the Eureka Mill to the Sierra Flume and Lumber Company and in May of 1877 the Sierra Flume and Lumber Company constructed a small flume from the Eureka Mill, merging it with a larger flume in the area. When the new addition was completed lumber from this sawmill was shipped down the flume south towards Red Bluff. Lumber from the Eureka Mill sold for prices between $12 and $30 per M. The Eureka Mill was one of the largest sawmills in the Shingletown area and included a company store and a telegraph office on its property.
The Dry Mill was one of the oldest sawmills in the Shingletown area before it entered a long period of dormancy and inactivity. It became an abandoned sawmill but in 1900 the Dry Mill was still standing. In 1916 the Dry Mill collapsed. By 1950 only the remnants of the 90-foot water wheel remained on the property, as described in Myrtle McNamar’s publication, "Way Back When". McNamar visited the site of the Eureka Mill in 1896 and noted only the foundation of the building and the log drive still existed.
After the fire the Tuggle property at that location became abandoned until 1880 when John Daily moved onto the property and made improvements to it. The first of two Tuggle properties along Ash Creek were sold to William H. Tuggle and Melinda (Ferrel) Tuggle on April 24, 1872, when they purchased the Lewis Thomas property. They lived here until December 12, 1883 when they sold the place to E.H. Ward and G.R. Marlen. During the interim of the eleven years spent on the above property they erected a large two-story house made of the finest lumber, a barn, and a milk house. They also planted an apple orchard. This property was located east of the Dry Mill.
Then on, November 22, 1873, fire destroyed the Klotz’s Door and Sash Factory, which was owned by Rudolph Klotz. Two millwrights by the surname of Ware & Lang erected this building for Klotz in 1869. Since that time, it was under the supervision of Lang who was acting as superintendent of the place. The fire that destroyed the property which ignited from a coal oil lamp, was used for the purpose of keeping the glue hot for the use of putting chairs together. Two of Klotz’s employees had just refilled the coal oil lamp. Klotz’s sawmill building situated near the factory and connected by railways together with the immense stacks of lumber was saved by the opposite direction that the wind was blowing. Or else it would have been destroyed by fire as well. Rudolph Klotz estimated the loss close to $30,000 in damages.
Another important date in the history of Shingletown is June 24, 1874, when the community was approved for a post office which was established by the postal service headquarters in Washington D.C., it was John McCarley who was appointed by them as the very first postmaster of the Shingletown post office. Now the residents were able to send and receive mail. McCarley’s store housed the first post office.
School Districts of Shasta County 1853-1955 compiled by Veronica Satorius
U.S., Appointments of U. S. Postmasters, 1832-1971
Where The 'Ell Is Shingletown? The Shingletown Story By Marion V. Allen ©1979 Printed by Press Room Inc., Redding, California, Pages 81.